Monday, March 28, 2011

Meatless Monday


After arriving home after a long drive there was nothing better I could think of doing than making some comfort food. My husband took the kids outside to play in the snow while I kept busy creating in the kitchen. My first thought was, "what am I going to make for supper" I needed something vegetarian. I have been a vegetarian (ok I eat seafood...infact I love salmon!) for almost ten years, my husband on the other hand is a carnivore through and through. But I have made mondays Meatless for awhile now...and there have been little or no complaints.


Evan loves meatloaf, I was unsure how this recipe was going to go over, but I attempted it anyways. The recipe called for canned black beans, I didn't have any so I cooked some black eyed beans; it also asked for a can of lentils....once again I cooked them from scratch. So my two cents for you are: If you have it, great, use it...if not comprimise! I prefer to cook from scratch, but don't get me wrong I will use canned beans if i am short on time. I loved the flavour, and with the mushroom gravy I made, I think these protein and fiber packed muffins will be a repeat, be sure not to overcook them!



Meatless Monday Meatloaf

This protein packed vegetarian meal can easily be made into either 12 muffins or a loaf, you decide!


1 1/3 cup canned lentils, drained

1 1/3 cup canned black beans, drained

1 cup cooked brown rice

1/2 cup ground almonds

2 tsp minced garlic

1 Tbsp dried parsley

2 tsp cumin

1 Tbsp olive oil

1 Tbsp lemon juice


1) Preheat oven to 375F

2) In food processor, coarsely chop the lentils and beans.

3) Add ground almonds, garlic, parsley, cumin, olive oil and lemon juice. Pulse until combined

4) Scrape into a bowl, and fold in rice.

5) Press into greased muffin pan or loaf pan.

6) Bake 12 minutes for muffins and 25 minutes for a loaf.


This recipe can easily have your choice of seasonings or herbs added to enhance the flavours. I think fresh tomatoes would be a great paring for this meal!



No comments:

Post a Comment